Monday, August 27, 2012

Could he be teething?

I have been waiting. Waiting patiently for the first tooth to come out!

I lost count already, but every time I happen to meet mothers, I would often ask them "Kelan nag ngipin anak mo?" Some would say, at four months, five months, or six.... I heard one mother said that when the child has started on solids, that's when the tooth eventually comes out.

Well, my baby just turned six months last Saturday (August 25), and had his first official solid food the next day.  I started with pureed apples, which he's been gladly taking for three days now. No tooth yet.  A few weeks ago, his pedia checked on his gums, and said "hindi pa naman namamaga..."

The newsletter I received today from whattoexpect.com is all about teething.  According to them, here are the five signs of teething:


  • Drooling. Check. He let's out slimy drools from time to time that often falls on my shirt whenever I hold him up in superman stunt. What's more, he can make tiny bubbles out of them, too! cute!
  • Gnawing. Check. I can feel those little toothless nips on my breasts, ouch! I would often tell him "Please don't do that".... He also loves munching on his teether now...when he was three months old, I tried to give him teether, and he didn't like it..he would cry knowing that there's no milk flowing out of that oddly shaped silicone.  I thought he would never like to use teethers... but I was wrong... he likes it now, and has actually become his best toy.
  • Crying. No Check.  He cries all right... but that's because he's hungry, or bored, or wet, or sleepy... i'm quite certain it's not about gum pains, or something.
  • Fasting. What?! Oh well, like his mother, fasting is a foreign word to my baby....even when he is sick, I never noticed him having significant change in his appetite.  When his nose was stuffy due to colds,  he had difficulty sucking, but he still finished his bottle, or empty my breasts, though at a much slower pace.
  • Waking. Not certain. He still wakes up in the middle of the night... but most of the time, to feed. Not fussy, except when he's really sick... so, I don't know.
So that's two out of five.  And mommy has to keep waiting... Until then, I will savor the moments of his adorable toothless grins...

No comments:

Post a Comment